POWER FOR PATNA, REST BIHAR GOES DARK
POWER, CERTAINLY TO BE THE MAIN ISSUE IN 2015 POLLS
May 31, 2011, Patna: While rest of the state is suffering from the worst power crisis in years, Patna is having its day in the Sun. The Capital is getting 90 per cent of the state’s electricity which leaves only 10 per cent for the rest of state. Power cut in many part of state sometimes extend to three to four consecutive days.
With only 10 per cent left for the rest of the state, a dozen districts including Muzzafarpur, Bhagalpur, Gaya and Sheikpura have seen violent protests and anger spilling on to the roads.
Of the total 800 MW supplied to Bihar, 375 is for essential services, of the remaining 425 MW, Patna gets 400 and rest of the state, gets only 25 MW.
The demand for electricity in rural Bihar is 1800 MW.
Even the government tube wells, which are supposed to be the emergency lifeline for irrigation, have gone dry due to non availability of power only adding to the farmers woes.